27 June 2009

The Countdown is on...

48 days! My flight is booked and I'll be flying to Vietnam on 14 August.

It's hard to describe my internal dialogue for the past few days. So much has been happening and all the changes seem so much more real now that I have a concrete date, rather than an abstract time frame for my departure and embarkation on this next, very different stage of my life. Part of me still feels trapped in limbo, as I do not have my actual work permit or residence visa yet. So, theoretically it could all come to nothing at the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen. The likelihood of that happening appears to be very slim since we have received nothing but positive feedback from the rectorates of An Giang and Can Tho Universities. Our correspondence with the International Office at An Giang has indicated that they are very excited for my presence on campus beginning in August and we have gone so far as to schedule meetings with the respective rectorates, faculty, and IC3 students from 16-18 August.

All of this leaves me very hopeful that this dream will become reality, while at the same time reality is weighing a bit more heavily on me with the reduction of uncertainty. As the reality of leaving the familiar world of work, friends, and family descends through the fog of naivete, I cannot help but feel some apprehension. I suspect this is natural, and not all that disconcerting. What frightens me is the weight of IC3 expectations and my ability to meet them. With all those involved depending on me to bridge the US and Vietnam, I can't help but wonder if this is really something I have the ability to do. The task is daunting and because I believe so strongly in the curriculum I hate to think that it would be my fault that it not be fully realized. I am both encouraged and humbled by the faith that those sending me have placed in my ability. I only hope that that faith isn't misplaced.

Excitement, anticipation, trepidation, intimidation... all these and more are sure to be my constant companions as I wrap up my life here in Harrisonburg and prepare for my life in Vietnam. I am more certain than ever that this is the right move and continue to see God revealing Godself to me through this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment